Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  10:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] great music and literature

Warning: Rant ahead!
I feel that those of us active in, and loving, and needing, classical music
are often careful to be nice and egalitarian. For myself: I genuinely
believe that western classical music *is* better than other kinds. I have a
fondness of, and perhaps an understanding of Indian classical music, of
Japanese and Andean folk music, and a listening knowledge of almost every
kind of music that the many peoples of the world produce. I've even studied
the structure of birdsong! I have been hungry and I have sought and
searched - but the western classical tradition, up to perhaps about 1950,
has produced the music that feeds my soul. How does it do that? Well, first
of all not all of it does: only a small fraction of the music of, say
1440-1950 is at all worth the attention. But what has stood the test of
time for a multitude of pale overfed Europeans largely works for me too!
What I demand in music varies, but I want a sense of space, possibility,
delight and a sense of emotional truth. What I don't want is a soundtrack,
nor musical wallpaper for my life, nor an aural demonstration of how hip I
am or how sexy I want to be. I don't want music that tells me what to feel
but music that invites me to grow in my own feeling.
But I also don't want music that plays mathematical games with no
corresponding emotional truth, nor music that merely reflects the ugliness
of aspects of modern life. I want a refuge from that ugliness, something
that nourishes me so well that I can then go out and embrace the world that
lesser artists merely reflect.
I mean that. john

At 02:16 PM 6/21/00 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 06/21/2000 8:48:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
>> This does not predispose the creation of a culture of lesser quality
>> but it does mean that the consumers of this culture have little
>> experience with which to judge quality.
>>
> Whoa! It is my assumption that all music is a reflection of the culture
>it was produced in at the time it was produced. It reflects the morality,
>values, styles and economics of the time. Judging quality of anything is
also
>a subjective, not objective thing. ...> My point, overall, being, that
we as teachers, educators and performers,
>need to not isolate or elevate one style of music over another. Musical
style
>is one of musical choice and personal preference as it refers to ones self
>expression. A well rounded education involves embracing all styles of music
>and deciding for oneself what is quality and what is not. Therefore, as an
>educator, my job is to give my students the tools they need to explore
>whatever style they choose to express themselves through, and even, suggest
>some alternate "routes" when the time is appropriate.
> Interesting thread folks!!!!
> Mary Beth Felker-Osborn

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico