Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  7:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] great music and literature

In a message dated 06/21/2000 8:48:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Most of the culture that has been created in the past 35 years was
> and is created for YOUTH. The discovery of the large amount of
> disposable income available to the world's youth since the 1960's has
> spawned an entertainment industry that will service that disposable
> income in any manner that is successful.
>
> This does not predispose the creation of a culture of lesser quality
> but it does mean that the consumers of this culture have little
> experience with which to judge quality.

Whoa! It is my assumption that all music is a reflection of the culture
it was produced in at the time it was produced. It reflects the morality,
values, styles and economics of the time. Judging quality of anything is also
a subjective, not objective thing. Most of us can agree on the extremes of
quality.......good and bad. But in between, lies a huge volume of works which
some would consider wonderful and others would consider awful. If my memory
serves me correctly, and I'm dredging up music history stuff........it would
seem, for a long time,that only "quality music" came from the Church.
However, I guarantee you that quality music was being created outside of
churches............hence Renaissance madrigals and motets........to name a
simple example.
My point, overall, being, that we as teachers, educators and performers,
need to not isolate or elevate one style of music over another. Musical style
is one of musical choice and personal preference as it refers to ones self
expression. A well rounded education involves embracing all styles of music
and deciding for oneself what is quality and what is not. Therefore, as an
educator, my job is to give my students the tools they need to explore
whatever style they choose to express themselves through, and even, suggest
some alternate "routes" when the time is appropriate.
Interesting thread folks!!!!
Mary Beth Felker-Osborn

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2604 Re: great music and literature DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Wed  6/21/2000   3 KB
2605 Re: great music and literature Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  6/21/2000   4 KB
2606 Re: great music and literature John Alexander Blyth   Wed  6/21/2000   5 KB
2609 great music and literature Sally Bradshaw   Thu  6/22/2000   1 KB
2628 Re: great music and literature John Alexander Blyth   Thu  6/22/2000   2 KB

emusic.com