Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  3:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Rock singing

Hello there,
I just needed to jump in on this thread..................there seems to
be a misnomer, or myth, about singing technique and styles. Once one learns
how to use their voice correctly, they do not need to stick to one musical
style to use it.
It is with great sadness that I watch the academia insist that singers
learn to use their voices by exclusively learning the classical style.
Occasionally, do I hear of colleges also adding musical theatre into the
curricula, and if they are really forward thinking they may have a great jazz
program going. However, I've not heard of a college that helps one learn how
to sing pop, rock, R&B, or gospel. To me, this is preposterous, technique can
be learned outside of any musical style and then applied to any style of
music that one wishes to sing. The trick, is learning how to sing the style
correctly without harming ones voice.
My frustration led me to search for a technique that allowed me to use
my voice correctly no matter what the style of music I chose. THe technique I
found was Speech Level Singing, founded by Seth Riggs of LA. He has had
phenomenal results within Opera, musical theatre, and contemporary styles of
music. 4 National Metropolitan Opera winners and over 100 Grammy winners to
date. I would strongly encourage you to look into this technique as you
continue studying.
You can direct questions to me at domisosing@a...
Happy Singing!
Mary Beth Felker-Osborn
Speech Level Singing Associate

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2589 Re: Rock singing Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  6/21/2000   2 KB

emusic.com