Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  6:55 pm
Subject:  Rock singing

Rodge wrote:

> " Is there another list for rock singers? Anyone?"
>haven't found one yet. maybe if there was enough interest we
>could start one?
and Helen added:

"A while ago some of us non-classical singers in Vocalist started:

InstrumentOne@o...

as a list for ourselves and others to discuss singing, but although about 40
people joined up the list seems to have died. Maybe we can revive it."

Never heard of it. That may be a great idea. But it might need another name,
don't you agree?! :-)

I think the idea is OK, but I also think we can profit a lot from what
classical singers have accomplished throughout the centuries. But, yeah,
that's a great idea! If interested, we might be enrolled into both.

"he has a book called Secret's of Singing, which i actually
have at home. It got some great stuff in there, but i cant
stand the example CD's. They sound really dated tonally, and
i havent found them much help. The common sense stuff on
health, anatomy, vocal strength adn warm ups is all cool
though.
I use the book on occasion, but nothing beats a teacher for
discipline!"

He has also 2 other books. One for male and the other for female singers. My
previous teacher sounds like Dio ( ex-Black Sabath ), or Ian Gillan ( Deep
Purple ),
or Steve Perry ( Journey ) or Sebastian Bach ( Skid Row ). All in one! :-)
He's really very good, but I don't know exactly where he sees the relation
between what he does and Allen.

"hey thanks heaps. I've actually read articles elsewhere on
the net by him, his stuff is good. 70.00 US is a lot in
Australian dollars for a lesson that cant even be face to
face, but it still may be worthwhile depending on wether I
think it's worth the cash. Obviously I couldnt keep paying
for that type of instruction every week! I will look into
it. Definitely I'll try to get the book."

This is what Mark Baxter sent to me some months ago:

"Thanks for inquiring about my video lessons. As long as you can play a
NTSC format video then we're in business. I began offering lessons this
way so I could continue working with my clients while they were touring
(using the videos as guides on the bus). After hearing reports that they
were a big help, I started offering the same service to those who live
outside the areas where I teach privately. While nothing will replace the
contact of a one on one lesson, in this day of e-mail's, communication is a
simple thing.

If you're interested, here's how to start.

1. Fill out the attached questionnaire. If you have a problem with the
attachment, I can mail the form.

2. Prepare some recordings of your voice. CD's, band demos, song writing
demos, "board" tapes or just you singing into a boom box. It's always nice
to hear great performances, but the more "real" the recordings -- the
better it is for me.

3. Send the completed form, your recordings and a check or MO for $70.00
to: Vocal Studios, P.O. Box 230442, Boston, MA, 02123.

After reading about your history and listening to your voice, I record a
1/2 hour lesson with exercises which will help speed your development.
This is the same procedure I follow with private lessons, except I'm
speaking into a camera instead of directly to you. The tapes become
valuable work-out guides, providing a visual reminder of correct form.
Turn around time is usually ten days from when I receive your package. Any
questions can be e-mailed. Follow up videos are as simple as dropping a
check to the P.O. Box. If it's been a while, I like to hear a recent demo,
but otherwise our e-mails guide me just fine.

I also have a book and video on the market. "The Rock-N-Roll Singer's
Survival Manual," ($17.95) is published by Hal Leonard and available in any
book store or through my web site. The manual provides in-depth
information regarding every aspect of singing (you can view the table of
contents on my site). My video, "The Singer's Toolbox," ($14.95) is
produced by Star Licks and available in music stores or my site as well.
The video focuses on what performers should do to maintain a healthy voice,
with warm-up tips and blow-out solutions.

If you don't decide to try a lesson, I'm still happy to answer any
questions you may have. Best of luck."

That's it. My present teacher had classes with him for 6 months, when she
lived in the US, and she said he's really great. Many doctors in his area
send patients to him because they really trust his work, and she just loved
his classes. She said he's not a 'natural-born singer', he had many
problems in the past and had to do his homework to work on them, and now he
teaches and has such understanding of our problems that we profit a lot from
his advice.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

P.S.: let's keep in touch and mature the idea of the pop/rock singing list.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2580 Re: Rock singing Domisosing@a...   Wed  6/21/2000   3 KB
2589 Re: Rock singing Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  6/21/2000   2 KB
2581 Re: Rock singing DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Wed  6/21/2000   3 KB
2582 Re: Rock singing Domisosing@a...   Wed  6/21/2000   3 KB
2586 Rock singing Caio Rossi   Wed  6/21/2000   6 KB
2593 Re: Rock singing Domisosing@a...   Wed  6/21/2000   2 KB
2641 Re: Rock singing Roger Smith   Fri  6/23/2000   2 KB
2711 Re: Rock singing Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  6/26/2000   2 KB
2717 Re: Rock singing Roger Smith   Tue  6/27/2000   2 KB

emusic.com