Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  6:21 pm
Subject:  body size WAS: pitch differences

Subject: Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses)

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 leskayc@a... wrote:
> The first time Dr. Cleveland at Vanderbilt Voice Center saw me he stated
that
> he knew that I was a soprano before he ever heard me sing because I am
small
> and his comment was that tiny people have tiny instruments and that tiny
> instruments make high pitches. BUT, I have a friend who is a
countertenor
> and is 6'5" and weighs about 275#. This guy is gigantic. Kind of makes
you
> wonder, huh?

Hi, Leslie.

I think it makes sense, but one should bare in mind that it does also depend
on how much mucosa you have on your larynx, how long it is, the shape of
your soft palate, etc. I'm pretty tall and muscular but my larynx, according
to a medical video-examination, is between the size of that of a man and of
a woman and with little mucosa on it. Therefore, I'm a tenor ( though some
teachers I've had insisted to classify me as a baritone ).
BTW, according to one of them, I'd have to reach the ( third ?...sorry, my
musicianship is terrible, but I'm working on it, besides our system and the
American system are different ) 3rd Do on the piano to be a tenor, but my
current teacher said it's valid for classical music singing, not for pop
singing. I reach the La, am improving very fast, but she says I'm a tenor,
and what's strange about it is that, probably due to my larynx peculiarity
described above, it sounds to me much more like head voice than pure chest
voice, though I'm still in chest voice.

bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com