Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  10:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Height/Range (was pitch differences, bach and basses)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, John Alexander Blyth wrote:

> I confess I don't understand this. For me the passagio is a region of
> 'instability' between head voice and chest voice, but it is also defined by
> the lowest note which may possess that instability, and therefore must
> change with training and experience. By 'high range' do you mean a big
> upwards extension of the head voice? john

Nope. I mean that in most men, their upper note is related to their
passagio. Most men have a top note in head voice approximately a 4th or
5th above the note where their passagio begins.

Not so with sops/mezzos/altos/countertenors. The head voice is not quite
so "locked" to the chest voice, so the head can extend further up.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2627 Re: Height/Range (was pitch differences, bach and John Alexander Blyth   Thu  6/22/2000   3 KB
2634 Re: Height/Range (was pitch differences, bach and Tako Oda   Thu  6/22/2000   2 KB
2658 Re: Height/Range (was pitch differences, bach and John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/23/2000   4 KB

emusic.com