Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  9:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

I think that, first thing in the morning, there is more actual weight in
the vocal cords - maybe they're puffed up a bit like my eyes, and have a
thicker coating of mucus. Also, as one vocalises more I imagine that they
will have a bit more weight due to increased blood flow to the active
region, and possibly even to swelling due to irritation, which leads me to
a question: to what extent might such swelling be an accepted part of
normal singing? Just a thought. john

At 05:13 PM 6/19/00 -0700, you wrote:
>That's very much like me - possibly my roll-off starts a note or
>two lower, but is steeper - also, when I get below E1, my volume
>is quite variable - earlier in the morning, I get more, later in
>the day, I get less, the more vocalizing I do, the more I get.
>I don't think I sound like Tako's demonstration either, but I'd
>sure like to know how he did it :)

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada