Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  6:15 pm
Subject:  Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and basses)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, John Alexander Blyth wrote:
> Now here is the crux for me - though I don't know how loud Tako's
> impressive demonstration was, my low notes don't sound like that. They do,
> however, tail away in dynamic level, as I have bemoaned to this list in
> approximately this fashion:

It's not very loud, but loud enough that choral directors in college
really wanted me to sing bass2 in their choirs (I suppose just the fact
that I could "hit" the notes was a big deal to them). I would never
expect to get away with singing in that register as a soloist, or as the
bass for a small a cappella ensemble. I have used it in the context of
"extended technique" on occasion. I generally don't sing lower than a
tenor low C in "standard concert fare" if I can help it.

It does tail off pretty sharply in dynamic after about Eb2 or so, as
evidenced in the sound clip. It levels off after that and is possible to
take it down to G1 before it is more buzz than pitch.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2566 Re: Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and ba John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB

emusic.com