Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jennifer" <jennibri@i...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  2:20 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

> My voice teacher has several other "dynamics" words of wisdom. 1.
> When singing in a
> chorus, never sing louder than mezzo-forte. 2. Dynamic markings
> indicate a difference in
> timbre rather than sheer loudness or softness. Both of these
> comments are not literally
> true, if one were to measure volume with a scientific instrument.

I think it's important to remember, as well, that forte and piano are
relative to each individual voice. I can't sing in most choirs anymore,
because my piano = most people's forte (excluding those with years of
operatic training). And a light coloratura's forte will most likely be a
dramatic soprano's piano.

Jennifer

emusic.com