Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Jun 20, 2000  1:50 am
Subject:  Rock singing WAS: Coming out

Rodge wrote:

"Are there any other rock vocalists on here, lurking? Anyone
doing orginal/cover material in a fairly modern style?

Hi. I'm a rocker, too, but I'm more into prog/heavy metal bands, like Dream
Theater, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Angra, Helloween, etc, although I like
something more like hard rock, such as Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, the old Skid
Row, etc.

" Is there another list for rock singers? Anyone?"

I don't know any. If you find one, pls let me know!

"Other local singers that have had lessons with classically based
teachers, have ended up sounding stron and healthy vocally,
but sounding very dated in style by todays standards."

I agree with you,a nd that's the kind of problem I've been facing, mostly in
Brazil. where you can barely find anyone who does really know what singing
rock is all about. I had a teacher who's got an incredible rock voice, but
at that time my voice was not OK. Now, that I've gone through speech therapy
and am taking classes with a teacher who's also a speech therapist, I've
been considering going back to his classes. I jsut talked tohim and he said
most of what he does is based on the same principles Jeffrey Allen's
technique is. I'm going to post a question here, " who's Jeffrey Allen? "
after this one. I think I've read about him some time ago on the list, but
the search engine didn't get me anywhere.
Someone who may help you is Mark Baxter. He's a very respected instructor in
the USA. He teaches Steve Tyler, from Aerosmith, and wrote a book which is a
cornerstone for you to understand what singing is all about: "The
Rock'n-Roll Singer's survival guide". It doesn't give you much technique,
but it explains what happens in your body when you sing. A great book. His
website is at www.voicelesson.com . If you can't have classes in person with
hime, you can send him an audio or videotape and pay about US$ 70.00 and
he'll send you a personalized class. It may be very interesting.

"As an indicator of my vocal style/tastes/interests: Mike
Patton, Chris Cornell, Dave Grohl, Ed K (Live), Scott
Weiland, Lane Staley, Jeff Buckley, Ben Harper etc etc"

Some names ring the bell, but most don't. I think they must be all
'alternative' bands, am I right?

That's it.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2556 Re: Rock singing WAS: Coming out Roger Smith   Tue  6/20/2000   5 KB
2559 Re: Rock singing WAS: Coming out Helen Phare   Tue  6/20/2000   2 KB

emusic.com