Vocalist.org archive

From:  "nancy clasby" <nturnage@h...>
Date:  Sun Jun 18, 2000  7:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

>At 09:10 AM 06/16/2000 -0700, Tako Oda wrote:
>
> >strohbass

>Joel asked in response:
>what is strohbass?
>
>(It sounds like the name of a beer :)

Hi,Joel--

My final paper for my M.Ed. was entitled, "The Adolescent Male Singing
Voice." In looking stuff up, I found that strohbass translates as "straw
bass." It is also called Russian bass. Even mezzo me can do a form of it.
You go as low as you can go, then softly go a bit lower. Your voice comes
out as a kind of gurgle on pitch.

Some of my (mostly music education) sources for the paper suggested that
high school students in choral classes be allowed/encouraged to sing
strohbass when their changing voices curtail their range. These sources
suggest that boys undergoing the voice change at times are reduced to only a
very few pitches, and singing strohbass can be a way for them to participate
on pitch without damaging their voices. It is also suggested that the boys
check their changing pitch range almost weekly and not sing out of it, so as
to avoid strain.

If you try strohbass, let us know what happens! :o) I read that some bass
voices get quite firm, strong and comfortable at singing strohbass.

Regards--
Nancy C.

2532 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Joel Figen   Mon  6/19/2000   4 KB
2539 Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and basses Tako Oda   Mon  6/19/2000   3 KB
2544 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) John Alexander Blyth   Mon  6/19/2000   4 KB
2549 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Joel Figen   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB
2569 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB
2562 Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and basses Tako Oda   Tue  6/20/2000   2 KB
2566 Re: Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and ba John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB

emusic.com