Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 18, 2000  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

Dear Isabel, Eva, et al,
We each are unique. We must approach our art as we understand it in our own
inimitable way. Isabel, you sound as though you're doing what is exactly
right for you. And I understand exactly how hard it is to try to express all
those thoughts in one teensy e-mail, believe me. That's exactly why I write
so seldom anymore.

Hindsight is always 20 20 they say. Looking back, I would have thrived better
as a performer learning the technique as I went. For me, and by that I cast
no accusation or aspersions on anyone else, too much technical stuff too
early would have made me too nervous a performer. I'm such a horrible
perfectionist and so very opinionated and tend to nitpick that I have to
fight it constantly. I have mellowed a bit thank heavens.:-)

To be a comfortable performer, I have to feel secure. BTW, the best
performers I know are all very insecure. I'm so scared that I'm going to do
something less than perfectly. That means I have to know the music, story,
character and technical requirements inside out to even begin to feel secure.
I have to know as much as I can about for whom I'm auditioning, what kind of
music is involved, how well it suits my particular voice, can I remain
healthy or even thrive in a role over a period of time, can I perform this
repertory and stay healthy, is my style and interpretation appropriate, is my
acting a good fit for this role or do I need to make some adjustments, etc.
There are so many individual things and sensibilities to think about that I
don't dare to presume to think that everyone else could be like me or I
aspire to be like them. I do a lot of straight plays too and love to act as
much as sing and all the same things apply. To me you can't have one without
the other. The idea in performing for me is to communicate and we all
communicate a little differently. I say "Thank G*d!" for if we were all the
same it would be such a bore!!!!!!!!!
Warmest regards,
Les

emusic.com