Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sat Jun 17, 2000  1:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Digest Number 141

Dear List,

Whilst I think that, in general, this is a marvellous
list. Sometimes it gets really dull when:

a)Listers drive a point to death!
b)When they don't listen to what the good people of
the list, ie Diane, Lloyd, Tako,and blowing the old
trumpet, me (I don't mind being modest, as everybody
else seems to be blowing their's) and what we have to
say.

I'm sorry to have to be brusquette here, but the
fortepiano thing is one of them. Lots of listers are
putting their tuppence ha'penny worth in (generally I
would say it's worthwhile, but not this time) and
getting it all wrong.

This being a Vocal-List, yes? Please bare in mind,
that it should concern generally, vocal matters, or
perhaps I've lost the plot?

At the end of the day, I couldn't actually give a
monkey's about forte piano versus piano forte, because
it's a sort of dead argument. It's like the
discussion that's been going on about
Castrati/Countertenors. Waste of time, 'cos not even
slightly similar. The scholars in the time of say,
Farinelli, had no idea that that was a voice in
decline, even then, and likewise with the piano
engineers who constructed the forte. Around the
corner, there's a new development, and with such an
instrument as the piano, it was bound to develop when
the orchestra changed especially.

When it comes to the piano we generally have to put
up with, or work with the modern day piano. That's
the way of the world, whether we like it or not!

The point I made in an earlier posting, is, that, like
Schubert et al only had the fortepiano do deal with.

Times they do a change (of course, and not always for
the better) unfortunately or otherwise, if you wish,
we must bend with it!

By all means, do a lovely recital with a fortepiano:
Schubert, Schumann, Donizetti et al (and early Verdi)
sounds great with it in the recital. But, a good
strong accompanist could still drown you out if he/she
so desired! That is then down to a matter of taste,
rather than what should be the desired instrument.

I hope that puts an end to all the fortepiano etc
waffling, 'cos that's all it is! Bring back falsetto
v. head tone at this rate!!!!! That was as obsure as
this argument!

Best wishes,

Ian. Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England