Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  11:30 pm
Subject:  vocal requirements and rewardings (was: Wetterfahne)

Dear John and list,

--- John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...> wrote:
snip(...)For myself, though I do strive for the
highest
> standards, nothing is truly
> easy for me. One of the things I really like about
> singing is the way that
> it does require my full attention, which would not
> be the case if I were
> more vocally facile.

Although I do have an easy voice, and many technical
things - like support - don't require that much
attention anymore since I start to do them
automatically, singing does certainly require my full
attention, and even more.

First of all there is the identification process: I
want to be the person of the song, to feel like him,
and not think of my own feeling, even if they are
simular. This already is difficult, and it can change
from song to song.
And then of course there are thousand places in a song
where I agreed with myself and with my pianist how to
sing them, where to breathe and how much, there is the
diction etcetera.
The piano requires a special kind of attention: I have
to listen to it, but cannot enjoy it too much, because
then I cannot concentrate enough on the things I
mentioned before.

So singing not only requires my 200 % attention
despite my 'easy' voice, but probably because of those
requirements it generates - if all goes well - the
kind of 'flow' experience, where 'die Fluegel des
Gesanges' (the wings of songs) can take us 'in eine
bessere Welt' (sorry for the contamination of songs).
Well, I suppose almost all of us know both melody,
text and most of all, the feelings from 'Du holde
Kunst', whatever the Fach or the grade of
professionalism may be.

Best greetings,
Dre

2542 Re: vocal requirements and rewardings (was: Wette John Alexander Blyth   Mon  6/19/2000   6 KB

emusic.com