Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  5:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Bach and Basses addendum

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, John Alexander Blyth wrote:
> Also, despite Jesus' lower tessitura in John vs. Matt., his only
> really low notes are on unstressed syllables, lightly accompanied and
> rather scarce, hardly rock solid.

You're right about all of this, but I didn't mean that the F had to be
loud - only that he has to sit on this note. It is a far cry from the
low G which is only touched upon in the bass aria "Eilt" later.

I can't remember the exact words, but I remember being struck by the
appropriateness of the low notes to the text when I first heard this
passage. If it had been produced in strohbass, instead of an open chest
tone, it simply would've lost its effect.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2508 Re: Bach and Basses addendum John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/16/2000   4 KB
2511 Re: Bach and Basses addendum Joel Figen   Fri  6/16/2000   2 KB

emusic.com