Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] fortepiano vs. modern grand

Dear Dre,

I think it's just confusion really. Schubert et al
didn't of course have the pianoforte as we do today.
Now, a pianist bashing the Hell out of Steinway could
knock Dame Joan into the ground, such is the
percussive din of the thing!

The fortepiano is a different sound altogether. It is
nothing to do with an accompanist playing loud or
soft: important as that is. It's just a different sort
of sound. Far more mellow etc.

This is obviously a simplifed argument. I guess that
Schubert (who was a rotten pianist) could drown out a
small voiced singer on the fortepiano should he have
wished to! So, sympathetic accompanists at all time
take note!

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey Voice technicain Bromley, Kent, England