Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  11:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] fortepiano vs. modern grand

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Dre de Man wrote:

> This is a point I really don't understand: I know
> there are pianists that for whatever reason play too
> loud, but do so many singers have to work with that
> kind of pianists?

Of course a pianist can play softly - just as Jessye Norman can sing
softly. It's just that the instrument is not optimized to play/sing at
that dynamic song after song. There is a happy medium dynamic for a
modern piano, and it sure as heck is not one that is good to sing lieder
against in a small room! It can of course be done, but the dynamic range
of a fortepiano is better suited for accompanying a voice in a parlor
setting.

-Tako

emusic.com