Vocalist.org archive

From:  singersuki@a...
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  9:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Improvisation

Hi all! It is one of my passions to sing da capo arias, and happily
embellish the da capo section. I was taught to improvise and embellish, at
least in the baroque rep, by a trumpet-playing friend of mine. We had
tremendous fun doing the soprano and trumpet pieces, embellishing up a storm,
with imitation, etc.

Particularly in da capo arias and songs, my teachers have always encouraged
improvisation. Thank heavens! All this training has made Handel, in
particular, much easier. It, eventually, comes naturally.

Suki T (It's late in the day, and I hope I made sense!)

emusic.com