Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  8:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re:lieder for beginning singers

from Dre..
>What is much more
>important: almost all songs force you to change
>dynamics quite often, especially in the passagio and
>to use legato all the same and change colours often.
>No untrained voice can do that, unless it is a natural
>talent, and many trained voices are not even able to
>do it, i.m.o..
>There are so many things hidden in these songs, so
>many things in the piano notes and in the text you
>have to take care off, especially with Schumann, that
>no beginner can even show more than 10 % of the things
>that should be expressed. In such a case I would never
>say it sounds excellent, and certainly not if somebody
>is choking to force a piano without having the right
>technique or singing all high notes voix-mixte due
>lack of technique to sing them otherw

I agree. Which is one of the reasons I chose
Du bist wie eine blume as an own choice for my exam
and Heidenroslein from the set list. This last may be
seem as a simple song but it most certainly is not
unless sung in Kindergarten which is not what I see
on the paper. The first is very slow with great sustained
passages.A challenge indeed that is not heard all that
often but just look at the contrast between them when
used for both their singing and sensitizing value.
I don't do these exams to chalk up points, it's
because they represent a solid track to the goal,
singing better.
Regards Reg.

emusic.com