Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jun 15, 2000  1:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

from our prodigal Les,
>So much is simply preference. Certainly preference
>overshadows even technique. Sometimes a unique individual comes along and
>even creates a niche or genre of their very own by sheer will (Maria
Callas).
>A perfect technique is no guarantee of success. Who's idea of perfection is
>it anyway? Who's definition do we use? I suspect everyone's is different and
>sees a perfect technique differently. No matter, it still all boils down to
>preference.

Dear Les,
No it's doesn't. You may have preferred not to go
through your helicopter training and still have survived for the
odd hour. We know you performed better and longer after it,
and that was the criteria all your passengers so humbly
appreciated. Sure, as you say, a perfect technique is no
guarantee of success but it certainly carries a lot of good
karma in my book.
Preference _may_ overshadow technique, as
the young lady who won the vocal competition found. She
preferred the glamour to the vocal exercises and no doubt
found to her discomfiture, just as I did, that she had been
led up a blind alley. (There I go again.) Sorry.
The problem is one of timely guidance, fitting
to the individual needs and in my opinion, that most often
requires external intervention, because the path of self-
discovery is slow: tedious and strewn with distractions.

Best Wishes Reg.

emusic.com