Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 14, 2000  5:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re:lieder for beginning singers

In a message dated 06/14/2000 6:35:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sopran@a... writes:
<< So although I agree that singers should work a great deal on technique, I
don't think that it is practical--or indeed even profitable--to confine
singers to mere exercises for 5-6 years before letting them sing songs and
arias in public. The entire point of technique is its application in
performance, after all. >>

What I believe is really helpful for developing singers at this stage is
having a teacher who gives periodic studio recitals where all of his or her
students sing a selection or two that they've been working on. It provides
the needed performance experience, yet is also supportive and safe, and
builds a family that can watch each student grow. My teacher (whom I studied
with for 10 years, while also attending music school) did this, and it was
great for me and all the others. TinaO

emusic.com