Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 14, 2000  2:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re:lieder for beginning singers

In a message dated 6/13/00 9:29:24 AM, ezuber@b... writes:

<< IMHO, artistic values should be stressed from day one of singer's training.
Even three notes can be sung musically and with some intention. >>

I agree with this 100 percent!

I'd also like to add that performing is a different skill than merely
vocalizing--and it's one that you can only develop by doing---that is,
performing. It's amazing how different a song or aria can feel in actual
performance, as opposed to in practice or in the studio.

So although I agree that singers should work a great deal on technique, I
don't think that it is practical--or indeed even profitable--to confine
singers to mere exercises for 5-6 years before letting them sing songs and
arias in public. The entire point of technique is its application in
performance, after all.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2430 Re: lieder for beginning singers ODivaTina@a...   Wed  6/14/2000   2 KB
2436 Re: lieder for beginning singers Dre de Man   Wed  6/14/2000   5 KB
2462 Re: lieder for beginning singers Reg Boyle   Thu  6/15/2000   3 KB
2437 Re: lieder for beginning singers Lisa M Olson   Wed  6/14/2000   2 KB
2446 lieder John Alexander Blyth   Wed  6/14/2000   2 KB
2471 Re: lieder for beginning singers jjh   Thu  6/15/2000   7 KB

emusic.com