Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  11:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

Isabelle,
I suppose I agree with you on many points (though I am by no means an
authority - I merely have a godlike prose style :o)) I, myself, probably
sing more vocalises than anything else, although last weekend I totally did
the six-chocolate-cakes thing and read through both Wotans full voice. But
I don't usually do that. I personally also feel that establishing the right
kind of resonance as a habit is vital, and too much singing of repertoire
and gigs without discovering that may result in many singers never ever
discovering what their voice can do.
Having said this, the bloody consonants really do give me grief. That
second song of Winterreise has actually only sounded consistent after my
'Rheingold warmup'. I don't think I can afford to do that on a regular basis.
I agree about the difference between singing Lieder and singing it well,
though I certainly see Eva Zuber's point, and am glad that there is such
popularity still in the German Laender, though I'd much rather hear Mathias
Goerne put his subtle spin on these beasties than "Lindenbaum" around the
piano with the whole family rounding off any delicacies that might
threaten to obtrude. Obtrude? Wasn't she in 'Lohengrin'?
>If you don't sing the A's and B's
>correctly in Caro nome, you'll never make it to the
>high E -- survival through correctness.
Survival through correctness: what a great line, and very very true. I
think everything I do is like this, but then I do like to 'push the
envelope' a bit.
Rant is a good thing. It expresses that which decorum hides, and can be
richer for it. john

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada