Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  8:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

>From: "Jennifer L. Fretwell" <jfretwell@h...>
>
> > Technique first -- no
> >performing, no auditioning, no study of any aspect of
> >music other than technique. Five years at the least.
> >Then begin to build other skills (whether it's "on the
> >fly," in a contract or apprenticeship, or by moving on
> >to grad school) necessary for a career.
>
> >Isabelle B.
>

>I don't feel so bad after hearing this... I have been studying privately
>with a voice teacher for two years. I have yet to sing publicly. A lot of
>people, particularly family members, have chided me for calling myself a
>"singer" when I don't actually sing anywhere. I have always countered with
>the reply that Maria Callas studied for three years before she ever
>performed publicly. My voice teacher wants me start singing with am amateur
>group in the fall, though. He feels that performing will help my voice to
>grow at this point.

Unfortunately, in my case Porpora's method would run up against simple
economics. I cannot afford to spend five years and lots of $$$ on something
that won't give me even a little bit of $ in return.

(I'm upset about this because my sweet babboo is asking why I drive to
Monterey every night for something that only pays "peanut money." He wants
to know when I will start making REAL money.)

Besides, I am in beginning singing terms an "old lady." Who's gonna cast me
as Leonora in "La Favorita" when I'm 50 and have done nothing except
vocalises?

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/default.htm
mightymezzo@h...

"Singing is the lowest form of communication." --Homer Simpson

2455 Re: Training Methods. Reg Boyle   Thu  6/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com