Vocalist.org archive

From:  April Fisher <apricot@l...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  8:53 am
Subject:  Re: "Joey & Maria's Italian Wedding"

> Could someone in the know please tell me something about this Joey and
Maria's Italian
> Wedding? It sound interesting. Could you tell me were it is being put on?
> Thanks.
> ---
> Dale Gillespie - Tenor

I guess I should, since I brought it up... These comedy wedding shows
are all the rage now (at least in the 'States). This one is a knock off
(but with an original script) of the older and longer running "Tony and
Tina's" (still running in New York and Pennsylvania and?) -- but with
one difference: Theirs has lots of sexual innuendo and, some think,
goes way beyond the bounds of poor taste. As far as I know, there are
versions of "Joey and Maria's Comedy Italian Wedding" up and down
California (at least San Diego, Anaheim, Palm Springs) and a bit on the
east coast (Boston? New York?). It wouldn't surprise me at all if there
were a few cropping up in the middle states too. In a side note, they
have just recently started doing a 25th Anniversary show with all of the
main players appropriately aged, broadened, etc.

The quality of the show absolutely depends on the actors because so much
is about personality and improvisation. The evening starts out with
audience members being greeted as friends and family of the bride and
groom, then ushered to their tables. There is a short wedding ceremony
(with all sorts of mishaps, including the unexpected arrival of the
groom's ex-girlfriend), then the "reception" (and most of the
improvising) begins. During the reception dinner is served (by
caterers), "guests" and members of the "bridal party" mingle, the
Godfather shows up, etc. etc. etc. Just like any stereotypical Italian
celebration, there is lots of singing and dancing and outrageous
behavior. It is very fun for all participants and, even though I'm
working, I leave feeling like I've been to a party every time.

I auditioned because they advertised for a singer, but it turns out that
it was just the vamp ex-girlfriend who sings one song (that Gloria
Gaynor classic "I Will Survive"). Since I also often play one of the
regular bridesmaids, I've built up a part for myself which allows for
operatic singing and chatting. But as far as I know, no one in the
other casts does that.

What else did you want to know?

Yours,
April Fisher

apricot@v...
San Diego, California

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2515 Re: "Joey & Maria's Italian Wedding" Dale Gillespie   Fri  6/16/2000   4 KB

emusic.com