Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rachel Hughes" <despina@p...>
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  4:33 am
Subject:  Fw: [vocalist-temporary] Marc Blitzstein (was: Long as we're all horn-tooting here... :-)

Hi Marcia and List,

Regarding Marc Blitzstein... I had never heard of him until a couple of
years ago when I heard Dawn Upshaw's CD "I Wish It So" (a truly *wonderful*
album!). As soon as I heard the title track, I knew I had to sing it. It
took me a while to find the music, but, thanks to a tip from a VocalLister,
I finally located an anthology of his works on the TIS website
(www.tisbook.com/music). I discovered that it was actually Dawn Upshaw's
recording that was the impetus for the book's publication.

Anyway... Blitzstein was an American composer of musicals and operas in the
1930s through 1950s. Unfortunately, much of his work has faded to obscurity
over time. The song "I Wish It So" is from a musical/opera called "Juno"
(unfortunately, I know nothing about the show and the book gives little
information); "What Will It Be?" is from an opera called "Regina," based on
Lillian Hellman's play "The Little Foxes" (this particular song belongs to
the ingenue Alexandra, as she wonders what it will be like when she finally
falls in love).

Also, last year Tim Robbins produced a movie entitled "The Cradle Will
Rock," which was largely about Blitzstein and his work (haven't seen it yet,
waiting to rent the tape).

In my opinion, this was a truly gifted composer and exceptional lyricist --
I find his lyrics have a truly *human* quality which is pretty rare. I could
easily go on and on about his work, but I hope this gives you the
information you were looking for. If not, feel free to email me.

Rachel
despina@p...