Vocalist.org archive

From:  "D. M. Moore" <adinca@i...>
Date:  Mon Jun 12, 2000  8:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Technique (was lieder for beginning singers (was: Ameling etc.))

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> After you are in control of your voice and can sing every note in your
> range correctly (not perfectly, but correctly), and have the ability to
> create effects (soft, loud, colors, diction) without cheating or
> compromising your tonal quality -- THEN jump into the rest of the
> package. [Disclaimer Notes: ... I tend to get all passionate and
> overstate my opinions on vocalist, because I feel like I'm a lone voice
> against the academic tradition sometimes ...

Ahhh, Isabelle - I agree 1,000%! But then I am constantly learning myself,
as well as passing it on to my students. Do you feel there is any
relationship to this and the Bulletin Board notice in Classical Singer, June
2000, p.4?

"The Rosa Ponselle Foundation announced the discontinuance of two
of its three competitions..." "Their actions were based on what
the Foundation views as 'the paucity of competent trainers in the
field, the decline in the technical and artistic achievements of
our young vocal talents... who, through no fault of their own, are
unable to be either competently or thoroughly trained.' "

Diane Moore
Soprano & vocal technique teacher
Silicon Valley, CA

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size