Vocalist.org archive

From:  Scott Drackley <sdrackley@r...>
Date:  Mon Jun 12, 2000  2:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Inter arytenoid question.

Dear Matthew,
I am primarily a lurker on this list and certainly not a doctor, but I
have first
hand experience with gastric reflux. My ENT says that any reddening or
swelling
around the arytenoids is a strong indication of reflux. Perhaps your
ENT or
gastro-enterologist or internist or, most importantly, an ENT who knows
singers and their special needs should investigate that as a cause of
your
condition. There has been much discussion on this temporary list and
the Vocalist
regarding reflux. You could get a lot of information by reading some of
it.
Best wishes.
Phyllis

Matthew Murray wrote:

> At the behest of my voice teacher, I went to see a local ENT. He
> gave me a sort-of thorough examination and said that, while I don't have
> any nodules on my vocal cords, there is some redness and swelling on the
> inter arytenoid surfaces. However, since he isn't really an expert on
> singing (I saw him because the more musically knowledgeable one isn't
> available for more than a month), he said he wasn't sure exactly what sort
> of misuse or vocal problem might have caused that. Has anyone else ever
> encountered this problem? Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it
> difficult to recover from? I would really appreciate any information.
> Thanks a lot!

> Matthew A. Murray - mmurray@c... - http://www.wwu.edu/~mmurray

> A critical history of computer gaming: | "I'm up among the stars, on earthly
> Over 195 computer game reviews, covering | things I frown, I'm throwing off
the
> games from 1977 to the present! | bars that held me down... Who
could
> | ask for anything more?"
> http://www.wwu.edu/~mmurray/Reviews.html | --The Gershwins, from Crazy for
You