Vocalist.org archive

From:  "O'Connell, Kathleen R." <Kathleen.R.OConnell@p...>
Date:  Sun Jun 11, 2000  3:29 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] opera history question

There are a considerable number of Baroque operas written in French by
French and non-French composers - Lully, Rameau, and Charpentier, for
instance -- that pre-date Mozart. The Paris Opera commissioned operas in
French from Mozart's older contemporary, Gluck (in fact, I'm listening to
one of them now -- Armide!).

Kathleen O'Connell