Vocalist.org archive

From:  "nancy clasby" <nturnage@h...>
Date:  Sun Jun 11, 2000  1:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Cathy Ardrey...speaking in class to band, etc

Cathy said, among other things:

>The primary cause of the nodules was thought to be my job--teaching band
>(marching, concert, and jazz bands) and chorus (four classes each day).
>Too
>much singing, yelling (Ouch!), and talking in one day. So I quit doing
>that, and had no more swelling.

Dear Cathy and others with noisy students,

In 1995 I had a new, talkative 45-member h.s. choir and strangling
allergies, so that I could not even speak. For the first few weeks of
school, each time I tried to speak, I coughed myself into oblivion.
Disaster! I discovered, a little late, that Radio Shack has a marvelous
device, that's also cheap, called a Powerhorn. You push the button, point it
where you want to be heard, adjust the volume appropriately, and speak in a
normal tone. Voila! I've used it at times since then, with good effect. It
plays dumb little music phrases, too, that can be coded for your outdoor
band. Even less speaking! I recommend it.
Hope this might be of help to some of the listers.

Nancy C.

2357 Re: Cathy Ardrey...speaking in class to band, etc Nancy Mitchell   Mon  6/12/2000   2 KB
2452 Singing industry outlook - HELP! Jennifer   Thu  6/15/2000   3 KB
2453 Re: Singing industry outlook - HELP! Jennifer   Thu  6/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com