Vocalist.org archive

From:  Justin Randolph <sneezy_1@y...>
Date:  Wed Mar 26, 2003  4:11 am
Subject:  Young singer with questions

ok...I've posted on here just a few times before. I
was wanting to just get some general opinions from as
many people who care to respond as possible.
Let me tell you a few things about myself first: I'm a
21 male...majoring in Vocal Performance...I'm a
baritone with not much of a bottom but with an
extending top. I'm pretty much a lyric voice--but
sometimes I'm naturally heavier. I'm going to be
graduating next year and am looking at grad schools
right now as potential spots. Mainly I'm looking for
a good teacher who is familiar with the baritone/tenor
voice. Right now I study with an AMAZING soprano who
has done wonders for me, but after this I think I need
to study with a male. I have studied with Andreas
Poulimenos(Ind. Univ.) and found it to be wonderful,
however he moved. Anyone out there know of any good
teachers, schools, etc?? What is your highest
recommendations??
ALSO...a technical question...do any of you
experience some major weather where you live?? Do you
think it causes your voice to go out of whack a
little? Since the weather where I'm at has constantly
been cold and is now a little warm I'm finding myself
"pushing" for my top more. Do any of you(especially
males) have any recommendations for helping this
along...especially the pushing thing because you're
under pressure. Right now I'm under a huge amount of
pressure as well because of a competition and I'm
pushing way too hard. I've been trying to back off
and release this pressure so that I can "float" more
at the top. I guess right now I'm just rambling and
very frustrated--so I dont' know what to do. Most of
my rep for this comp. moves in and out of my hardes
passaggio point and some days it feels great--others
like today it's horrible. Any suggestions? I was
told to warm up in sotte voce--which I did for two
days and noticed a BIG different. Anyone agree?
Thanks guys!
Justin

http://platinum.yahoo.com

emusic.com