Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lvandekirk" <lvandekirk@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 20, 2003  4:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Has anyone had fundoplication?

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "John Messmer, M.D." al
per week and with a couple years experience.

> "As to antireflux meds: currently only metoclopramide is
available. Despite > the potential side effects of muscle spasm and
rigidity, I have used it for > about twenty years and have found it
to be quite safe. Another med, > cisapride, is off the market in the
US (maybe elsewhere also). There is a > med called tegaserod
(Zelnorm) which is being marketed for irritable bowel > syndrome, but
which may have benefits off label for reflux."

Now, why have I not heard of these medications before? Why is Nexium
the only thing offered me? Are these medicines cheaper, by any
chance? Do they work better than Nexium (which I'm really not that
impressed with, despite the high-society price).

After meeting with my gastroenterologist this week, I had the
impression this surgery will do the trick (probably) and the recovery
will be very easy. Now I'm not so sure.

What I'm finding almost impossible to deal with, is the reflux that
can happen when you're upright. Having to time my meals two hours
before ANY use of the abdominals is practically impossible. I have a
toddler who I have to pick up all day long; I have students I have to
teach at various times of the day; I have to go to rehearsal and I
have to sing at all sorts of times!

The result so far is that I've lost five pounds (and I wasn't
overweight to begin with) in two months, and I'm hungry all the
time. It's not a way to live, is it? So, it's very tempting to
contemplate just having the problem done with.

I have been assured that the surgeons who do this surgery have done
many of them. He did also mention a newer procedure which I forget
the name of, but do I dare take my chances on something unproven?

Thanks all, I guess I'll keep you posted on the process, and those of
you who don't have it, get down on your knees and thank your
celestial being!
Lindsey

emusic.com