Vocalist.org archive

From:  loredana <music_above_all@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 13, 2003  6:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] quitting smoking damage

Hi!
I'm a 23 year old singer, and I've gave up smoking last year, after 5 years of
"pack a day". What happen to me after that is not only that I didn't loose my
voice, but somehow singing got easier for me. It's nothign better than clear
your body of the smoking polution, and it has an imediate effect on everything,
including singing. I wouldn't be worried about loosing the voice, and I'm almost
sure that's an excuse some people just use in order to get back to smoking. You
might wanna watch those pounds though, you will gain at least 5 in the first
week ;)...
Tony Bohnenkamp <bonedrum@m...> wrote:hello--

i'm a professional musician, playaing an average of 4 nights a week for the last
5 years. i play drums for a band, but my bread and butter is a solo act where i
play piano, guitar, and sing cover songs all night, and a lot of these songs are
in a pretty high range. here's the problem--i've been a pack a day smoker for
about 12 years now. i've heard smoker/vocalist friends tell me when they've
tried to quit they lose their voice. so i'm scared, since if i lose mine, i'll
have to cancel shows, thusly making no living. now, i'm not an idiot--i'm aware
of the numerous benefits to quitting, which is why i'm going to try. but i'm a
little freaked out as to what's going to happen. do any of you have any
experience in this area?? ever been through it? any words of advice would be
much appreciated. thanks

tony bohnenkamp
des moines, ia
bonedrum@m...