Vocalist.org archive

From:  "deliamayit" <deliamayit@h...>
Date:  Thu Mar 13, 2003  6:15 pm
Subject:  Re: quitting smoking damage

I gave up smoking about 6 years ago and i didn't lose my voice,
though at that time my voice was very small and i was just singing in
a choir, not breathing properly or anything. At the same time I
started singing lessons - (that's why i gave up - i couldn't bear my
teacher to think i was a smoker).
I can only say ITS THE BEST THING I EVER DID and it wasn't as
difficult as i thought it would be either - the important thing is to
decide and stick to it - it was only difficult for about 2 weeks,
after that you more or less lose the craving. I didn't use nicotine
substitutes either as i think they can only prolong the process (you
are continuing to feed the addiction).
That was my experience anyway, I can't speak for anyone else. I have
heard it said that you produce excessive phlegm for a while, but it
didn't happen to me.
Good luck
Delia
ps i was also a pack-a-day-er for about 13 years !

emusic.com