Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003" <LesTaylor@a...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Cuperto

Dear Delia,
"Cuperto" is the Itaian word for "Cover". As with most singing terms,
there is lots of confusion about its precise meaning. To my best
knowledge, cover is generally a device used mainly by male singers
when traversing their passagio to give them access to higher notes.
The vowel is modified by raising the soft palate. The
terms "lift", "yawn-feel" and "Darkening" are sometimes used as well.
I believe there is also an association with the term "imposto"
or "impostazione" (a sort of pre-sneeze pre-positioning of the vocal
apparatus).

There are several cover exercises and none of them are secret as far
as I can tell. My description BTW is not an endorsement. Any
exercise should be used in its proper context with a good teacher who
knows your voice and your aspirations for it.

Nguh, nguh, nguh, nguh, nguh (5 notes down-scale diatonically) i.e.,
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to the tonic then repeating the pattern moving down by
half steps (the starting pitch of course depends on the voice).
The "nguh" is a sort of reverse "ung" (as in "lung") but the student
just approximates the ng part of it not producing a hard "g" sound.

The descending yawn-sigh exercise is used too, starting above the
break and "adding" yawn-feel through the passagio while bringing
intensity way down through the zone until safely past without
breaking.

This technique is only good for more formal kinds of singing and
should be avoided when doing anything less formal, otherwise you'll
sound too operatic, woofy, yawny, Burt Lahr-y.

For more info, try the term "cover".
Regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23230 Re: Cupertodeliamayitdeliamayit Tue  3/11/2003
emusic.com