Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  6:28 pm
Subject:  ADMIN: moving the list, the archives, and welcome!

Lots of people have made the switch from the old group
to the new one; that's great. I'm sending this to
both lists, to catch everyone, but do remember to
start new threads and send replies to
theVocalist@yahoogroups.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the archives.
Obviously, they're very valuable, and it would be
ideal if they could reside in a central, serachable
place. I've asked the yahoogroups people if it's
possible to simply move them over, but that creates
its own problem -- running out of space. As it was,
the vocalist-temporary was just about to run out of
space for new messages. That means that soon, every
new message someone wrote would cause an old message
to be deleted. With the new list, we have a blank
slate in the storage department, but only if we don't
move the old archives with us.

Anyone have suggestions? One solution is to simply
leave the old archives where they are, and anyone
could look up questions there. I could make the
archives public, so that you wouldn't need to be
subscribed in order to search through them, or I could
keep it the way it is, and people could re-subscribe
to the old list (vocalist-temporary) for the purpose
of searching the archives.

Anyone remember the old Vocalist.org archiving system
that Marko had set up? That was really neat, but I
have no idea how he did that. It's theoretically
possible for someone to go through every single
archived message at vocalist-temporary, copy it, paste
it somewhere else, and create a searchable database
that way, but my Lord the labor that would involve!
I'm open to suggestions for the archiving problem.

In case anyone missed the move and is still getting
messages from vocalist-temporary, to subscribe to the
new list, send a blank email to
theVocalist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and to
unsubscribe to the old list (if you want), send a
blank email to

And for anyone who already did that, and now wants to
resubscribe to the old list to look through the
archives, send a blank email to
vocalist-temporary-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .

Isabelle B.

23220 Re: ADMIN: moving the list, the archives, and welcome!John Cheshireconn1922 Mon  3/10/2003
23231 Re: ADMIN: moving the list, the archives, and welcome!Ingo Duckerscheiningo_d Tue  3/11/2003
emusic.com