Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deborah" <p_dbrown@o...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  9:17 am
Subject:  Stiff Jaw on top notes

Hi everyone,

One of my students a middle aged man has a very stiff jaw on top
notes.

His current range is from f below the bass clef to a top (tenor) c.
The tightness in his jaw is particularily obvious generally from the
F' to C'.I am reluctant for him to sing where I hear this tightness
and see his tight jaw, as I am sure he is entrenching this bad habit.

I have tried to help him reduce tension, including posture, breathing
and breath management exercises and discussion of these things and
how they feel when he gets it right.

I suspect he is trying to support his tone with his jaw and likes
the sound.

I have considered getting him to look in the mirror at how tight his
jaw is when singing these notes, however he also speaks with a closed
mouth so he may not see any problem.

I suggested he feel the jaw joint and loosen the tension if he feels
any when he sings. With this and posture, and breath management
The middle of his range has begun to free very well and in the bottom
of the range over the last two weeks of this has also become less
harsh sounding more resonant and much more free.

I also recently suggested that maybe alexander technique may help.

I wonder if any other teacher has encountered this problem. If so
what did you find helps? I 'd be grateful for any ideas on this topic.

Deborah

emusic.com