Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deborah" <p_dbrown@o...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  8:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Asymmetry in the Larynx

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, ethan embry
<user3095d@y...> wrote:

> Actually that may be helpful, thanks. I'm still trying to figure
out the differences in breathing you are talking about but I do
notice a difference for example when laying down, so I'm sure I still
have some problems with breathing technique. How did your coach
notice may I ask? How can I tell if I am doing the same thing?
> Thanks.
> Tomasz Bilau <bilaut@w...> wrote:I'm afraid I may not be of much
help to you,but I would like to describe
> to you my problem. My coach noticed that when singing I tend to
push air
> the wrong way that is into the belly rather than straight up into my
> lungs, larynx, and mouth. What's funny, when breathing in a relaxed
way
> I did just the opposite. When I changed the direction of breathing
when
> singing, that is followed the way I breathe when,eg.falling asleep
my

I> voice grew clearer and brighter, also much stronger. Another funny
thing
> is that when touching my larynx I can feel as if it was wider and
even
> thicker on the left side. Perhaps in your case it also a matter of
> breathing into your belly rather the other way round. Sorry I can't
be
> more helpful

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about however I was
once at a master class with a highly respected teacher. Once of the
other singers had a habit of pulling his stomach in when he breathed
in and then pushing down on his breath when he sang.

As a result he tended to run out of breath and found it very
difficult to maintain a long legato phrase. She called it "reverse
breathing".

If this is what you are doing maybe consulting the pages containing
breathing exercises in the data base may help.

05

034266:HM/A=1484259/R=0/*http:/click.atdmt.com/COL/go/yhxxxchm00200120
co
> l/direct/01/&time=1047028409306753>

M=245221.2994078.4377227.2244331/D=egrou
> pmail/S=:HM/A=1484259/rand=710781419>

Service.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23207 Re: Asymmetry in the Larynxuser3095duser3095d Mon  3/10/2003
23209 Re: Asymmetry in the LarynxDeborahsingsoprano2003 Mon  3/10/2003
23218 assymetry in the larynx and reverse breathingTomasz Bilautomandbil Mon  3/10/2003
23223 Re: assymetry in the larynx and reverse breathingethan embryuser3095d Tue  3/11/2003
23229 Re: assymetry in the larynx and reverse breathingTomasz Bilautomandbil Tue  3/11/2003
23244 Re: [vocalist] RE:assymetry in the larynx and reverse breathingDeborah Spencersingsoprano2003 Thu  3/13/2003
emusic.com