Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deborah" <p_dbrown@o...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  8:49 am
Subject:  Re: Soft palate

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "alex69rox"
<alex69rox@y...> wrote:
> Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep the soft palate
raised?
> Also I was wondering how am I supposed to bring it down on m and n
> and then up after I sing those nasal consanants? thanx!

Hi,

Just a caution. I once had a teacher that insisted on aiming every
vowel into the soft palate. This was a great way of lifting it.
However every one of his students developed a rather stiff and
inflexiable sound.

I am sure there are better ways of lifting your palate. eg by
achieving a sense of "open throat" and open vowels, that the palate
will take care of itself. Remember that the shape of the vocal tract
and the amount of lift in the palate varies from vowel to vowel.

emusic.com