Vocalist.org archive

From:  ethan embry <user3095d@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 10, 2003  1:07 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Asymmetry in the Larynx

Actually that may be helpful, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out the
differences in breathing you are talking about but I do notice a difference for
example when laying down, so I'm sure I still have some problems with breathing
technique. How did your coach notice may I ask? How can I tell if I am doing the
same thing?
Thanks.
Tomasz Bilau <bilaut@w...> wrote:I'm afraid I may not be of much help to
you,but I would like to describe
to you my problem. My coach noticed that when singing I tend to push air
the wrong way that is into the belly rather than straight up into my
lungs, larynx, and mouth. What's funny, when breathing in a relaxed way
I did just the opposite. When I changed the direction of breathing when
singing, that is followed the way I breathe when,eg.falling asleep my
voice grew clearer and brighter, also much stronger. Another funny thing
is that when touching my larynx I can feel as if it was wider and even
thicker on the left side. Perhaps in your case it also a matter of
breathing into your belly rather the other way round. Sorry I can't be
more helpful