Vocalist.org archive

From:  April Fisher <apricot@l...>
Date:  Sat Jun 10, 2000  1:59 am
Subject:  the choicest parts of crowd-pleasing arias?

Hello Vocalisters,

I'm in an improv show called "Joey & Maria's Comedy Italian Wedding"
(Yes, it is very like "Tony & Tina's" of similar fame -- but ours is
rated PG-13 whereas theirs is more like NC-17).

For those who don't know, the show works like this: the audience is
seated as wedding guests at dinner tables around the room, kind of
facing a stage/dance floor area. There is a scripted wedding ceremony
(about 20 mins.), then the rest is the reception with cast members
interacting with the audience (friends and family members from the old
neighborhood). There are also a few staged events during the
"reception", but most of the time anything goes.

I've been in the show for awhile and, when I play a bridesmaid, my
schtick is that I'm an opera singer looking for an agent. (That way I
get to sing at every table and talk about what I'm interested in --
opera.) I have a few standby arias that I am comfortable pulling out
wherever/whenever with or without accompaniment, but I do have a hard
time selecting the choicest 60 seconds or so... Everyone isn't an opera
fan and I am singing over background music and a medium level of noise
just from conversation at other tables -- and I will be doing it about
10 times that evening-- so I try to keep it short,sweet and impressive.
(Right now, I tend to cycle through O Mio Babbino, Volta la Terrea, La
Pastorella delle Alpi, Vedrai Carino, Non So Piu, Summertime and
whatever else comes to mind or is requested. (That may not seem
impressive to you, but it's what I know backwards and forwards...))

Like I said, I have been doing it for awhile, so I have gotten into a
bit of a routine... But I would like to add more variety (for myself
and the other cast members who hear it every weekend!) and be more
careful about where I start/finish a piece so it seems complete enough,
but not too long, yet still a good show... I would like to ask your
advice on this. What arias or other operatic pieces would you suggest
for this kind of situation, and especially, what particular part of that
aria?

By the way, I'm a borderline mezzo/lyric soprano (mezzo quality, soprano
range), but will attempt just about anything for these little "sound
bites" since I don't have to do the whole role, or even the whole aria.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

April Fisher
San Diego, CA
apricot@v...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2322 Re: the choicest parts of crowd-pleasing arias? Karen Mercedes   Sat  6/10/2000   3 KB

emusic.com