Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michelle" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 7, 2003  6:25 am
Subject:  Re: Countertenors and repertoire.

Michael Gordon wrote >>>>I would hope that if you read of the history
of someone like David Daniels, who apparently really wanted to be a
tenor and struggled as a grad student before finally accepting that
his "true" voice was as a countertenor, you might feel at least
sympathetic towards the people behind the voices.<<<<

That's the issue for me Michael, of course I have every respect and
admiration for the wonderful "men behind the voices" I just don't (as
yet) like listening to them. Maybe I never will, maybe with a bit of
education I can come to appreciate them, if not wholly, then at least
more than I do now. The original post was something of a guilty
admission on my part in the first place, especially knowing there
were counter-tenors on this very list. It was never meant to say I
can't like any of you personally, or respect you as artists, it was
something of a request for information, which you have all indulged
me with. :-D

talented potential countertenor become your student! <<<<

I should be so privileged! Chance would be a fine thing. Although
before now I might have been tempted to recommend a counter-tenor to
a different teacher due to my ignorance, after having gone back to
read what Miller has to say, and the lists responses, and being shown
a rich source of repertoire sources from here also, I feel that I
would be more likely to work with counter-tenor now than back off
from the experience. I should hope I will always be able to keep an
open mind about nearly everything that matters in life. It will be a
dark day if ever I couldn't.

Cheers

Michelle.

emusic.com