Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Mar 7, 2003  1:10 am
Subject:  morning singing

Norma wrote:

> I have a question. Why dont singers perform at their best in the morning and
is this also true for wood wind instruments?

+++After a night of sleep, it takes a little time for the body to wake up and
warm up. This is true of the whole body, and the voice is a part of that
system. The head may be full of congestion which has to be eliminated.

When I was younger and had a less secure vocal technique, I would get up very
early in order to have time for plenty of warm up prior to a morning singing
gig. Now I require much less warm up.

Biorhythms have a lot to do with it. I once had a student who always signed up
for the earliest applied exam time available. She was fresh and fabulous in the
early morning, and by mid-afternoon, she was wilted.

I can't speak for the wind players.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23165 Re: morning singingLaura Mcprcrnsongbird2002 Fri  3/7/2003
emusic.com