Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  10:25 pm
Subject:  Re: Training of Singing Teachers

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah"
<singsoprano2003@y...> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I was wondering among the singing teachers out there what in their
> view was important training for singing teachers.

:-) What a great question!

Not to be glib, but I would offer a re-definition of the question to
serve the needs of the response. To me, this question is about the
training of singing artists as to how to teach that art.

From this form of the definition comes multiple levels of activity:

Study of the art of singing in all its aspects: technical, musical,
poetical, philosophical, human communications, etc. This implicitly
involves significant preparation and performance of a wide variety of
music.

Intellectual mastery of the ideas which undergird the singing
pedagogy.

Training in the use of language to communicate concepts. This is
more acurately stated 'learning how people learn', and is subject to
the individual variability of brain dominance, cultural backgrounds,
language habits and learning styles.

'Functional Hearing', which is used by the teacher to determine what
the student should be working on; what their singing challenges are.

Literature to be used for the variety of stages of development, and
how particular age-appropriate pieces can be used to develop musical,
poetical and vocal concepts.

Studio Management, setting of expectations, lesson planning,
scheduling, accompanist relations, etc.

Ethics, Integrity & Teamwork

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser