Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steve Fraser" <Steve.Fraser@j...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  5:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baritones and Contraltos

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Jodie Bean
<bean2871_2000@y...> wrote:
I thought there were many contraltos
> in the professional world, so am I wrong or are they?
> Do you think I should push the fact that i would like
> to be singing more contralto repertoire?

I think the best general advice is to sing all the repertoire
for which your voice is suited, and in which you find satisfying
artistic expression. If your voice has power, range, control and
expressiveness in a particular part of the voice, I think that makes
it a candidate for your legitimate singing use in recital or on stage.

Especially for recital purposes, the audience experience of your art
is enhanced if they get to hear a great variety of color, dynamics,
declamation, etc. If you have a stunningly powerful low, let them
hear it used artfully with more subtle elements. If you middle voice
is creamy chocolate smooth, then bless them with it. If the top is
ringy and true, thrill them.

The only mistake I can see would be to limit your expressive
creativity because of a label. If you are going to label yourself,
then the best label to have is... Singer. Beyond that, its about
repertoire, the literature you prefer to sing, and what the audience
needs to hear.

All the best,

Steven Fraser

emusic.com