Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jodie Bean <bean2871_2000@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 6, 2003  4:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baritones and Contraltos

Hi Ed!
My break is around an octave above middle C, and
although I can mix chest and head on that note, I
cannot with the D above it. I have an okay range
(A-flat above middle C to a E below middle C) but I
find it easier to sing lower in my range. I also am
having trouble mixing the deep quality of my low range
with the high notes above my break. I am finding
though that the exercises that have been posted on
here are helping. Also, I have a question for you.
For some reason, the voice faculty at this music
school I am attending don't seem to acknowledge that I
may be a potential contalto, they just deem me as a
mezzo-soprano. I thought there were many contraltos
in the professional world, so am I wrong or are they?
Do you think I should push the fact that i would like
to be singing more contalto repertoire? What is your
opinion? (Anyone else is free to answer this too ) :)
Thanks
Jodie

23119 Re: Baritones and ContraltosEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Thu  3/6/2003
23122 Re: Baritones and ContraltosSteve Fraserdstevenfraser Thu  3/6/2003
emusic.com