Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exercises for blending registers...

In a message dated 3/5/2003 9:53:52 AM Central Standard Time,
deliamay@h... writes:

> Thanks, i'll have a try. Unfortunately my teacher, though excellent
> and helping me a lot, is not fond of chest register (convinced it
> creates a hole in the middle of the voice and wears the voice out
> quicker) and tells me to keep in head register. As I also like
> musical theatre and singing along with Ella Fitzgerald, I don't want
> to deny what I consider to be a legitimate part of my voice.
> Surely one can learn to use chest without damage ?
> Has anyone any thoughts on this ? Surely mezzos and contraltos need
> to blend all the time if their breaks are above those of a soprano
> (according to Miller - i must say this surprised me, i always thought
> their lower break would be below the soprano break)

It seems your teacher does not know how to teach a mix out of chest... it's
totally possible and does not damage the voice. If it did, all male singers
would have worn out voices and obviously they do not.

randy buescher
<A HREF="www.speechlevelvoice.com">www.speechlevelvoice.com</A>

emusic.com