Vocalist.org archive

From:  "deliamayit" <deliamay@h...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  11:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exercises for blending registers...

Hi Susan
I have always had problems with the lower break so am very excited to
hear of a good method, especially as it is also endorsed by Lloyd
Hanson! I just want to be sure i have understood all the steps.

> I start with easy low chest voice exercises on one note, sustaining
it and
> flipping the tongue easily to make Ahhh La La La La. Stay in chest
range,
> don't push for volume.

Do you mean something like G or A below middle C or higher ? (I'm a
soprano by the way)

> Then starting on about d an octave above middle c
> sing a 5-note scale down with an easy onset, a "light, delicate"
sound, as
> Conrad puts it. It's really just unpushed head voice, with enough
> compression to keep the sound from being breathy. Sing a few of
these,
> proceeding downward past the break.

Do you mean DCBAG, then CBAGF, then BAGFE etc. until you can't get
any further in head voice ?

>Stay in that "gear" and don't let chest
> come in. Then do it again, and when you get to the bottom note,
crescendo
> gently, staying in the head voice, not allowing chest to enter
until it
> absolutely has to. Occasionally go back down to do an easy chest
voice
> excercise as above.
>
> When the bottom note of the 5-note scale is solid, doesn't crack or
break
> too soon into chest, START with that and go up 5 steps or an
arpeggio. Start
> at the break or just above. Then do it again, starting below the
break.

Are you still in 'head voice' here ? or starting in chest and sort
of 'mixing upwards' (not that i really know what mixing means)

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim here, but i'm never sure what the break
point is since I can take head voice down to about B or chest voice
up to about F. I'm really interested in understanding this exercise
properly and would appreciate a bit more explanation.
best wishes
Delia

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23096 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Wed  3/5/2003
23099 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Michaelchosdad Wed  3/5/2003
23115 Re: Exercises for blending registers...deliamayitdeliamayit Thu  3/6/2003
23116 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Edward Nortonbelcantist2003 Thu  3/6/2003
23117 Re: Exercises for blending registers...deliamayitdeliamayit Thu  3/6/2003
23124 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Thu  3/6/2003
23127 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Steve Fraserdstevenfraser Thu  3/6/2003
23150 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Sharon Szymanskisszymanski27514 Fri  3/7/2003
23154 Re: Exercises for blending registers...Edward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  3/7/2003
emusic.com