Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Deborah" <singsoprano2003@y...>
Date:  Wed Mar 5, 2003  5:15 am
Subject:  Baritones and Contraltos

Hi everyone,

And thankyou for so many interesting points of veiw and points.

I am curious as to what percentage of up and coming singers in
countries other than mine are Contraltos and Baritones.

I was told by a teacher from a Conservatory in my country last week
that we no-longer have contraltos or mezzos that sound like they used
to.

I presumed by this she was referring to the colour and warmth of
voices like Clara Butt and Kathleen Ferrier.

I wondered if that was the experience in other countries. It
certainly didn't seem to be the case in the USA when I was there. I
wondered also whether anyone has noticed pedagogy in their own
countries which would influence the number and colour of these voices.

I find it rather strange because in my experience the majority of
songs from the pop culture which most young people listen to and sing
along to are often quite low in register. Often this seems to be
where alot of young people use their voices.

Further I have found many teenagers because of this are unfamilar
with using their voices in a higher register.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23078 Re: Baritones and ContraltosMichaelchosdad Wed  3/5/2003
23079 Re: Baritones and ContraltosDeborah Spencersingsoprano2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23080 Re: Baritones and ContraltosMichaelchosdad Wed  3/5/2003
23081 Quoting, was Re: Baritones and ContraltosMichaelchosdad Wed  3/5/2003
23137 Re: Baritones and ContraltosKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Thu  3/6/2003
23147 Re: Baritones and ContraltosSteve Fraserdstevenfraser Thu  3/6/2003
23085 Re: Baritones and ContraltosEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23086 Re: Baritones and Contraltosarado_gearado_ge Wed  3/5/2003
23088 Re: Baritones and ContraltosEdward Nortonbelcantist2003 Wed  3/5/2003
emusic.com