Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Mar 3, 2003  9:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Motivation.

At 10:54 AM 3/03/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Frankly, I don't even try to analyse my motivation for singing. I just
>sing because I want to, have to, feel compelled to, love to. The kind of
>judgemental psychoanalysis of motivations seems to me to be a sure way to
>KILL what motivation one may have!
>
>Karen Mercedes

Karen and Les, if we take a look at all that, each of your reasons starts
with "I"
Apart from the obvious non-inclusion of the needs of others, it also calls
into
question the interpretation of the work one sings. Compulsion and self love
are exactly the weak foundations I intended to underline, but more
specifically
the fear of performing in public which is the bane of so many performers and
performance. If this problem is looked at in reverse we see people who's
performances and confidence are top notch, yet who lack the human aspect by
which real contact with the audience is attained.

Sometimes I think it is good to KILL the wrong motivation and start again.
Naturally this applies to more than just singing.

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
23057 Re: Motivation.lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Tue  3/4/2003
23070 Re: Motivation.Reg Boyletranquil2404 Wed  3/5/2003
23084 Re: Motivation.lestaylor2003lestaylor2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23098 Re: Motivation.lestaylor2003lestaylor2003 Wed  3/5/2003
23107 Re: Motivation.Reg Boyletranquil2404 Thu  3/6/2003
emusic.com